How do I join?

Pep Band membership is open to any Michigan Tech student that likes it louder, faster, and higher!  No audition necessary. Bassists and guitarists should contact  Mike Christianson so appropriate accommodations can be made. To join the Pep Band, just come to the Fall Band Camp (Friday, August 28, 2015 , 4:30p – 8:30p – Walker’s McArdle Theatre, and Saturday, August 29, 2015, 4:30-6:30PM at Sherman Field). Dinner will be provided by Mu Beta Psi, Michigan Tech’s music service fraternity.

If you are unable to make it to the Fall Band Camp, come to any of our rehearsals (Tuesdays and Thursdays 4:00-5:30pm). Even if it is the middle of the semester, you are still welcome to join us!

When and where are rehearsals?

In the Fall, rehearsals are on Tuesday and Thursdays from 4:00-5:30pm in the Rozsa Band Room (Rozsa 208)

In the Spring, we rehearse only on Tuesdays from 4:00-5:30pm in the Rozsa Band Room (Rozsa 208).

OH NO! The rehearsal time conflicts with one of my classes. Now what?

The first step is to see if it is possible to change the conflicting class. Many of the courses at Tech are offered at a variety of times and it usually isn’t hard to switch to a time that works better with your schedule.

NOTE: It also is a good idea to tell your advisor as soon as possible that you would like to play in the pep band. The earlier the better to avoid conflicts! Most cohort classes can changed if you talk with your advisor early enough.
If you are unable to switch your conflicting class to another time we will do everything we can to keep you involved. Please email  Mike Christianson to discuss your situation.

Do I need to enroll in FA2400 to be involved in the band?

No. In fact most of the students that participate in the band are not enrolled. You only need to enroll if you want the credit. The expectations, however, are the same regardless of whether or not you have enrolled.

What instruments are provided?

The following instruments can be provided by Michigan Tech: Mellophones/Marching French Horns, Percussion, Baritones, Tubas, Bari Saxes, Bass Clarinets. Limited numbers of other instruments are available on a first come first serve basis.

Although the Tech does also check out mouthpieces, we do strongly recommend using your own. If you would like a recommendation of what mouthpiece to purchase, please email Mike Christianson.

I have an instrument, I just need the accessories like reeds, valve oil, sticks, lyres, camels, and flip folders. Do you provide that?

Unfortunately no. You are responsible for providing your own reeds, flip folders, lyres, dromedaries, sticks, and valve oil. Good Times Music is a well-stocked music store in downtown Houghton and will usually have everything you need and more. They also repair instruments in the case you drop your baritone off the bleachers!

Are lockers available?

Yes, a variety of lockers are available. The cost to rent a locker for the year is $25. Visit Mike Christianson (Rozsa 204) to rent one.

What sort of time commitment is involved with the pep band?

The band plays at all home football, basketball, and hockey events. Although we would love for you to devote your entire life to the band, we realize that you are also here at Michigan Tech to study! Therefore, the band divides into three smaller bands during basketball, volleyball and hockey seasons to minimize the workload. Typically, everyone is scheduled to play one game a weekend. If you do have a conflict (and yes, you will) it is easy to resolve because we have a system for finding subs.

I am a drummer but I don’t read music. Will I still be allowed to play snare, bass drum, or quads?

In order to play snare, bass drum, or quads you must be able to read music. If you are a drummer that does not read music we will put you in the Auxiliary Percussion section and work with on your reading skills. We’re always here to help you out!